“This Week in the Jays Nest” is a Toronto Blue Jays weekly recap that will be posted once a week on the Alyssa Cohen MLB Blog. It will feature the highlights of the past weeks Toronto Blue Jays baseball games, injury updates, roster updates and a question of the week.
The Blue Jays completed their one week road trip with a .500 record. Ever since the 2-11 start, the Jays have been 9-9! If only they could win 9 games in a row…
- RHP Danny Barnes called up to replace Aaron Sanchez on roster.
- Blue Jays release C Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
- Blue Jays claim RHP Neil Ramirez off waivers from SFGiants.
- Mat Latos DFA’d.
- Blue Jays claim RHP Cesar Valdez from
#A’s and optioned him to AAA Buffalo.
- Neil Ramirez has been activated per club.
- Blue Jays acquire C Pat Cantwell from Texas for PTBNL or cash. He will report to New Hampshire (AA).
- Aaron Sanchez placed back on 10-day DL (split nail).
- J.A. Happ threw on flat ground, not close to return (May 3).
- Donaldson and Tulowitzki took ground balls (May 3).
- Marcus Stroman pulled from May 3 start due to “tightness in his arm”.
- Aaron Sanchez threw 33 pitches in a bullpen side session off the mound. Curve balls part of arsenal. No sign of blood. Positive day. (May 7)
Games Played This Week:
May 1, 2017 – Jays (7) @ Yankees (1)
José Bautista finally hit his second home run of the season, along with Chris Coghlan (1) and Ryan Goins (1)! Marco Estrada also pitched seven excellent innings, resulting in our Blue Jays winning the series opener!
May 2, 2017 – Jays (5) @ Yankees (11)
Mat Latos had a rough start, giving up 10 hits and four homers in four innings. The offence was pretty quiet, and it seemed like the Jays were out of it since the beginning of the game.
May 3, 2017 – Jays (6) @ Yankees (8)
The Jays scored four runs in the first inning, but sadly Marcus Stroman was not as sharp as normal, allowing the Yankees to score three runs in the bottom of the first. The Jays never seemed out of the game, until the seventh inning when they gave up three runs.
May 5, 2017 – Jays (8) @ Rays (4)
If you would have told me that the Jays would have won this game, I would never have believed you! It seemed that this game had been made up of two games, one game during innings one through six, and another game during innings seven through nine. Thanks to a strong bullpen performance and two Kendrys Morales homers, the Jays came away with a win!
May 6, 2017 – Jays (1) @ Rays (6)
The Jays bats seemed to have been swinging… at least in the first inning. Marco Estrada gave up 5 runs to the Rays for the second time this season, as the Blue Jays lost 6-1.
May 7, 2017 – Jays (2) @ Rays (1)
The Blue Jays won the their second series of the season, curiosity of the Tampa Bay Rays (again!). Joe Biagini made his first MLB start and pitched a gem of a game, giving up 5 hits and one un-earned run! Thanks to Darwin Barney’s first home run of the year, the Jays won the game 2-1!
Gifs of the Week: Brought to you by ateDARYL
Blog Posts Published this Week:
This upcoming week marks the return of our beloved Edwin Encarnacion, lets show him the love he deserves (as long as he doesn’t bring along the parrot!).